Fall Injury Month: 5 Ways You Can Prevent Falls
Did you know it’s Fall Prevention Month in Ontario? True, it’s not something to have a party for. But what we should be happy about is the growing awareness of the effect of falls on the elderly. In order to celebrate the second year of Fall Prevention Month, we have assembled some helpful information about how you can prevent a slip and fall.
A Few Facts About Falls
- 1 in 3 people over the age of 65 will fall at least once a year
- Falls are the most common cause of injury in the elderly
- Women are 3 times more likely to be hospitalized for falls than men
- Falls account for $1 billion in Ontario healthcare costs
Are You at Risk of a Fall?
While we hear stories about falls happening to other members in our community or in our retirement homes, we sometimes tend to think that it won’t happen to us. But here are some common examples of risky situations that may cause us to fall:
- Poor balance
- Weakened strength in muscles and bones
- Inappropriate footwear
- Unsafe conditions in the home, i.e. bathtubs, slippery floors
How Can You Prevent a Fall?
Five ways you can prevent a fall include:
1. Eating healthy: nothing is more important than eating regular, nutritious meals. Food is the best medicine for building our strength and resistance to sickness.
2. Staying active: regular exercise is more important than ever in preventing falls and other accidents. Exercise improves strength, balance and endurance.
3. Paying attention to side effects of medication: if you notice that your medication is causing drowsiness, dizziness or nausea, consult with your physician. You may be able to lower your dose.
4. Getting rid of hazards: ensure your house or room isn’t a fall hazard. Remove unnecessary clutter and arrange to have a walking aid close by.
5. Using your walking aids: many falls are preventable by people who are too embarrassed or too proud to use their walking aids. The truth is that many, many people get hurt this way. If you have a walker or a cane, use them. Your quality of life will instantly improve.
If you are in need of more information about fall prevention, please Contact Us today.