What is Pelvic Physiotherapy?
Pelvic Health Physiotherapy is the assessment and treatment of various conditions involving the pelvic floor and surrounding areas. The pelvic floor is made up of muscles, tissue, nerves, and ligaments, which support the bladder, uterus, and genitals. Sometimes, complications can arise causing the pelvic floor to function improperly, leading to various conditions.
Who can benefit from Pelvic Physiotherapy?
Pelvic health issues such as Urgency, Incontinence, and Nocturia occur more frequently in seniors, while issues such as Pelvic Pain, Dyspareunia, and Vaginismus occur more frequently in women who are pregnant (including prepartum and postpartum pregnancy). However, conditions can affect men and women of all ages. If you have any symptoms that you think may be caused by pelvic floor dysfunction, call us today and see if pelvic physiotherapy is right for you.
- Urgency – The urge to urinate, which may be difficult to control
- Frequency – Excessive frequency of urination
- Pelvic Pain – Ongoing pain around the pelvic region
- Incontinence – Uncontrollable leakage of urine
- Nocturia – Frequent need to urinate during the night
- Postpartum Pelvic Pain – Pelvic pain after giving birth
- Dyspareunia – Difficult or painful sexual intercourse
- Vaginismus – Involuntary vaginal muscle spasms (can make any kind of vaginal penetration paintful or impossible)
Our specially trained Pelvic Health Physiotherapists are capable of treating a variety of conditions, including: incontinence, pelvic pain, urinary conditions, and more. Our Pelvic Health Physiotherapists have specialized post-secondary education and are registered with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario. They are capable of treating men and woman of all ages. An initial assessment will help determine the cause of your symptoms and concerns, and our physiotherapists will then work with you to create a treatment plan specific to your unique case.
We service both rural and urban regions throughout Ontario and Nova Scotia, with 11 Clinics and 11 Home Care office locations. To find out if Pelvic Physiotherapy is offered near you, please visit our Locations page. If you do not see any locations near you, please contact us and we’ll be happy to let you know if we offer services in your area.